VI. The Philosopher's Stone
"To the uneducated an A is just 3 sticks"
Winnie the Pooh
No! No, this is not a critique to Harry Potter’s first adventure; just a quick summary to check at what stage Science is regarding the fundamental questions that Humanity is trying to answer for the past… actually forever.
After great brand new formulae, amazing measuring toys like the Very Large Array (VLA), the Hubble, the ISS, Space Shuttle, Tevatron and my personal pet hate, the Large Hadron Collider, plus many more contraptions scientists have come up with to better understand the Universe, here are some of the “discoveries” made in the past 100 years:
- There was a Big Bang (really?)
- We have answers for Everything until 0.000,001s (or is it 0.000,000,000,000,000,001s?) after the Big Bang (really?)
- The Universe is 14 billions years old! (really?)
- The Universe is expanding (really?)
- The Universe is not expanding (really?)
- The Universe is stable (really?)
- The Universe is expanding more rapidly than expected (really?)
- There are parallel Universes (really?)
- There are multiple dimensions (really?)
- There is dark energy (really?)
- There is dark matter (really?)
- There is a Higgs boson (really?)
- There is anti-matter (really?)
- There is an Event Horizon (really?)
- There are black holes (really?)
- There is a constant speed of Light (really?)
- Nothing can travel faster than Light (really?)
- If I had a stone I could transform lead into gold! (how did this one get into this list)?
All the above “is” and “was” and “are” should be replaced by “must be” or “must have” or “must have been”… I am sure that some other statements may be added but surely not that many more. Billions of money have been thrown at this (re)search, millions of man hour thinking time have been used by the most available brilliant minds to come up with a few items of unsatisfactory statements. By all means that is not a big roll and you would be pushed to find as many as the 23 mathematical problems listed by Hilbert in 1900.
So let’s start explaining Everything. For that you may join me on platform π or
3.141592653589732384… (such a beautiful number!)
and wait for the next train because, as Pierre de Fermat said, “I have discovered a truly remarkable proof which this margin is too small to contain”.